Monday, January 10, 2011

Better Safe Than Sorry

I've been busy. It all started with one tiny bug.

I was blow drying Rio's hair as I do every morning and I saw what looked like a tiny sliver of bark.  I picked it out and took a closer look.

"Amaya!  Hurry get me a baggy!"  I yelled down the hallway.

She brought me a baggy and I put the little creature inside.  I then took a comb and started inspecting Rio's head.  Then I checked Amaya's.  Nothing.  No bugs, no eggs...so okay, it wasn't lice.  Was it a bed bug? 

After I dropped my kids off at school I took my bagged goody to my moms house.

"Mom, do you know what a bed bug looks like?"  I asked as I held up the bag.

"No,"  she said as she put on her glasses.

"Is it lice?"  I questioned.

"I don't know?"  She answered.

I went to her computer and googled lice photos.  Pictures loaded onto the screen. 

"Take it to the pharmacy and ask them if they know,"  she suggested.

Then I put the baggy on the computer screen so the bug was side by side the googled images.

"I think we know what it is!"  I told her.

After purchasing $83.00 worth of RID, I went to pull my kids out of school.  The school gladly removed them from class to have them inspected before releasing them.  The office clerk checked them.  Again, nothing!  They probably thought I was crazy, but I had proof in a baggy.  They insisted it was okay for them to remain in school. 

"Maybe you were lucky and found the only one,"  they joked.

I wasn't so sure.  Where there's one , there's two, where there's two, there's four.  And that thought sent me on a cleaning rampage.

After vacuuming and spraying the couch, I removed all bedding, blankets , and stuffed animals from my house, in case there were any stragglers.  I felt much better, until 8pm.

"Do you trust your eyes to spot a bug that starts off the size of a pin head?"  I asked my husband as we sat on the couch.

"No, do you?"  He questioned back.

Immediately everyone was treated.  Better safe than sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Mayonaise is less toxic. Next time, slather it on the head. Saran wrap the head and place a heated towel around that. Sit for an hour. Wash it out. Blow dry and then take the hair straightener to your hairs. Yup. Fries 'em like crispy citters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried mayo recently cuz my kids had it... no good! I also disenfected everything and considered shaving everyones head. I think lice is one of my hugest petpeves. It will not be tolorated in my house and I will conqure them!! I WILL!!!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, teddy bears have to be frozen to kill off any lice hiding out there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yuck, I remember lice. I had it twice. And I was very tender-headed as a kid and hated sitting through hours of mom picking at my hair.

    ReplyDelete